Online Registration Now Available

Whether your child is starting Kindergarten or you are moving from another district, the registration process can be completed from your home using our online Synergy portal.

To complete registration, you will need these documents:

  • Child's legal certified Birth Certificate - must be an original copy
  • Child's Immunization Record
  • Proof of Address (examples: utility bill, rent receipt, updated drivers license with the correct address on front)
  • KG ONLY: Dental screening proof within 6 months prior to starting school
  • KG ONLY: Vision screening results (from a well-child visit)

  • If you do not have all these documents, you can still proceed with the registration process. You can provide them to your school at a later time.

Registration at APS Central Office 2373 Gordon Rd 

Call 989 358 5025 or email coutureb@alpenaschools.com to schedule an appointment. 


**To be eligible for enrollment in Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten, your child must be 5 on or before December 1, 2023. If your child will turn 5 after September 1, but prior to December 1, an age waiver is required.


Contact Bethany Couture at APS (989) 358-5025 or coutureb@alpenaschools.com


Kindergarten Enrollment Event Dates for Fall 2024



Is my child ready for Kindergarten?

Enrolling your child in Kindergarten is a big step, and APS has generations of experience helping families with this exciting milestone! We recognize that every child is unique, so we offer two different options for our youngest learners. Visit our Kindergarten Readiness page to learn about these options and to review what skills will help your child succeed as a student.


Welcome! If this is your first child to register with Alpena Public Schools, we are excited to partner with you in your student's education. From their first bus ride to graduation day, APS provides the area's most diverse set of learning opportunities.

To register your child for school, visit our Synergy Online Registration portal. Click the "More Options" link and choose "Create a New Account." Follow the instructions to create your own Synergy ParentVUE  account, then use your account to register your child for school.

IMPORTANT: Do not use the "Create a New Account" option if you already have a child registered with APS or have had a child registered with APS in the past. Contact the APS Pupil Accountant if you need help activating your existing account.

Keep your ParentVUE login information in a safe place as you can use this account to keep track of your child's grades, attendance and more as they learn and grow,

Parents/guardians with students already registered as Alpena Public Schools students must use a Synergy ParentVUE login. Do not create a new account, but instead follow the instructions below for your particular situation.

I am a Synergy ParentVUE user.

  1. Go to the ParentVUE portal login screen and click the "I am a parent" option to log into your ParentVUE account.
  2. Click the "Online Registration" button in the upper right of your ParentVUE screen.
  3. Follow the prompts to register your new student.

I have never activated my Synergy ParentVUE account.

  1. If you have never activated your Synergy ParentVUE account, contact 989-358-5025 or email the APS Pupil Accountant to receive instructions on how to activate your account.
  2. Follow the instructions to activate your Synergy ParentVUE account.
  3. After activating your account, login and click the "Online Registration" button in the upper right of your ParentVUE screen.
  4. Follow the prompts to register your new student.

I have used my Synergy ParentVUE account before but have forgotten my password.

  1. If you have used your ParentVUE account in the past but have forgotten your password, go to the ParentVUE portal login screen and click the "I am a parent" option.
  2. Choose the "Forgot Password" option and follow the instructions to re-set your ParentVUE password.
  3. After resetting your password, click the "Online Registration" button in the upper right of your ParentVUE screen.
  4. Follow the prompts to register your new student.


Q: What if I am missing some or all of my required documents? (Legal birth certificate, immunization record, proof of residency)
A: You can still register. You are allowed 30 days after the beginning of the new school year to provide any missing documentation. Once you have them, just take them to your school’s office.

Q: What if my child has not had any eye exam yet? (Kindergarten placements only)
A: You can still register. You have until school starts to provide it.

Q: Where can I get an eye exam done?
A: Your family doctor can give your child the required eye exam. It does not need to be a formal exam by an eye doctor.

Q: What if I don’t have all of my child’s immunizations up to date?
A: Provide whatever information you have. You have 30 days from the time of your child starting school to either get the rest of the required immunizations, or to provide us with proof of an appointment with either your health care provider or another provider of immunizations. Also, if you have chosen to not have your child get any further immunizations, you can ask for an immunization waiver when you register.

Q: We live in the boundary of one Alpena Public School area; however, we want our child to go to a different school in the Alpena Public Schools District. What can we do?
A: Ask for a transfer agreement form. Upon completion of the form (one per child) the District office will make a decision, based on classroom sizes in both the school you are choosing to attend and the school that you reside to make the best choice for your child. We cannot overcrowd a classroom; however, we will make every attempt possible to honor your request.

Q: We live in another School District, such as Alcona, Atlanta, or Posen. We want to attend Alpena Public Schools. Can we?
A: The first step would be to register with APS and provide your necessary documents. We will make a request on your behalf to your resident school district, telling them of your decision to attend Alpena Public Schools. Your resident school district has to release your student so that he or she can become an official member of Alpena Public Schools. Once that is completed, your child can start school with us.  

Notice of Nondiscrimination

Alpena Public Schools is in compliance with all state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, physical characteristics, marital status or handicap.


PDF DocumentRegistration Form
PDF DocumentRequest for Records
PDF DocumentVerification of Prior Discipline
PDF DocumentMap to Central Office

Need Help?

If you've got questions, call us to get more information.
Switchboard: 989-358-5200
Enrollment: 989-358-5000

APS Online: Any Place, Any Time, Any Pace

Online Learning

Web-based courses for
students in grades 6-12.

Log On and Learn!

For more information:
Call 989-358-5190
Or email APS Online!