COMMENCEMENT 2020 INFORMATION
ALL DATES/TIMES ARE TENTATIVE AND CAN CHANGE BASED UPON FUTURE STAY AT HOME ORDERS
As always the safety of our students is our top priority and our hope is to hold any event as long as it is deemed safe. Every event is TENTATIVE based upon the recommendation of health professionals. More Updates to come on what this will look like.
JUNE 13: Commencement
On Friday, Governor Whitmer placed our region in Phase 5 of the Michigan Safe Start Plan for reopening our state. This allows outside events of up to 500 people in outdoor sporting venues, such as Park Family Field at Wildcat Stadium. Due to this change, we are now going to be able to hold a Diploma Presentation Commencement Ceremony on June 13. We will be placing the Senior class into three groups, beginning at 9am. Each family will get four tickets to gain access to the Stadium for the program.
Rain date is June 14 at the same times.
9am-10am: Group 1 (Last names A-Hamp)
11am-12pm: Group 2 (Last names Hanna-Reed)
1pm-2pm: Group 3 (Last names Reynolds-Z)
Each family will get 4 tickets even if they have multiple graduates. Each group will have a different color ticket indicating their ceremony time. There will be assigned sections for each graduate that will be marked on their tickets. Each section will be taped off and indicated by a number with 8-feet spacing between them. Families are asked to respect social distancing when entering and exiting the stadium. We also ask that families wear masks when attending the ceremony. Please respect one another’s space before, during, and after the event.
Please contact the Alpena High School Main Office if you need arrangements made for handicap seating (358-5300)
- Male: Nice shirt (tie optional) and dress pants; No shorts
- Female: Relatively formal dress or a nice shirt with a nice skirt or pants; No Shorts
- Cap, gown, tassel and stole
- Only NHS stole, Besser medallion, yellow honor cord and Early College cord may be worn
- Masks are required to be worn by Graduates that choose to participate in the ceremony; the mask may be removed when walking across the stage and taking their photo
- All traffic should enter off of Bagley Ave and exit onto Washington Ave
- Seniors will be sitting in carefully placed chairs on the track, six feet apart.
- Stage positioned in the middle with half on the turf and only up to the sideline to protect the playing field as much as possible.
- Each graduate will have their name called and the opportunity to walk across the stage to receive their diploma cover
- The graduate after walking across the stage will then head to the Diploma station to receive their Diploma
- Photo Opportunity: Once the ceremony is over, the Graduate and their family will have the opportunity to walk to a designated area to have their photo taken with the scoreboard in the background.
- Once the photo is over, or the Graduate chooses not to take a photo, we ask that you to please exit the campus so we may prepare for the next group’s arrival
- We will stage the next group on the baseball field, where seniors would wait before entering the stadium; name cards placed on chairs; students in the next group are asked to be in their area 30-minutes prior to the start time of their ceremony
- Please remain in your seats until the conclusion of the ceremony
Graduates Enter to Pomp and Circumstance
Presentation of Graduates
Presentation of Diplomas
Turning of Tassels
Please practice Social Distancing at all times while on the Alpena High School Campus
We are very excited to have the opportunity to help the Class of 2020 to celebrate their achievement. If there are any questions, please contact Mr Berriman at 358-5300. We are looking forward to seeing everyone at the Stadium on June 13!